Monday, May 14, 2012

My Rotten Redheaded Older Brother

Polacco, P. (1994). My rotten redheaded older brother. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster

This is a great book that all students can relate to, even if they don't have a sibling there is someone in everyone's life that they compete with. On page 17 when Patricia asks her brother if he likes rubbarb and he tells her know, she thinks she has him beat... then she find out he doesn't like rubbarb--he loves is! That section on page 19 made me laugh out loud, and I can see it doing the same for my kids.

The illustrations in this book made it all the more intersting to read. The vibrant colors on each page draw the reader's eye to the key character, that rotten redheaded older brother. I found it interseting that all of the characters had red hair but the brother's was a brighter hue to draw your attention-- not to mention it was sticking up in every picture just like you would picture a rotten older brother.

I am not big into visual elements but as I was reading and looking at the illustrations of the book I couldn't help but feel like the lines in the book were drawing me to the older brother.

This would be a great book for the intermediate students because at that age they are really starting to complete with the people around them, whether it be their siblings or their friends. This book would be a great way to relate their real life to reading, plus the humor that is added makes it funny for the kids to read. I also like how it ties in Social Studies at the end of the book when it talks about a custom that her family has.

Big Question:
Who in your life do you have that you like to compete with? What drives you to complete with this person?

No comments:

Post a Comment